At Seishin we study study the use of the Japanese sword by training in Seitei Iaido, which comprises twelve set forms, or kata and and senior members also are part of a Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu iaido study group. MJER is a classical sword school.
Prospective new students are strongly encouraged to call in to meet us and observe at least one training session, prior to making the commitment to commence.
To start training and learning Iaido, new students will need only to make the commitment to themselves for a minimum of two months of regular training and obtain and bring the below listed items to commence training –
- Loose comfortable clothing, appropriate to train in.
- A bokutoh (wood sword). Available at martial art equipment shops, from around $70.00, or we can loan one or help make a selection from a www supplier.
- Students will also need an obi later, when starting to use an iaito (training sword). The obi is a long wide belt that worn inside the hakama. Seishin can help here, obi that suit iaido are around $60 depending on the length.
- Pay two months training fees on the day of the first lesson.
- Thereafter, training fees of $40.00 are paid monthly.
All members also pay fees of around $70.00 each financial year to affiliate with the state, national and international Kendo, Iaido and Jodo organisations. Affiliation provides opportunities to attend training seminars, grading exams, compete at state and national championships, some sports injury insurance cover and other benefits.